Home page
Lander's location
Buildings & sites
Tax advantages & incentives
Renewable engery
Entrepreneurs welcome
Setting up shop
Current business roster
Future Industrial Needs Development Project

Business License and Taxation Requirements
A business license is needed for each person, corporation, partnership, proprietorship, business association and any other similar organization that conducts an activity for profit, including an independent contractor or sole proprietor. A trade show or convention held in this state in which a business previously described takes part, or in which a person who conducts such a business attends, for a purpose related to the conduct of the business also needs a business license. Detailed information on the business license application process and taxation rates may be obtained at the Department of Taxation web page. You may obtain an application form from the Nevada Department of Taxation office nearest you, or you may click on Nevada Department of Taxation below to locate and download forms.

Nevada Department of Taxation
1550 E. College Parkway
Carson City, NV 89706
Phone: 775-684-2000
Fax: 775-687-5981

Local Business License Offices
A local business license is required to operate a business in nearly all cities, most counties, and many other locations. This is in addition to the State Business License. Please contact the appropriate business license office to determine the specific licensing requirements. The Nevada Business Registration Form available from the Department of Taxation may be used to apply for a local business license as well.

Kingston and Austin fall under Lander County for business licenses and permitting.

Lander County Clerks Office
315 S. Humboldt St.
Battle Mountain, NV 89820
Fax: 775-635-5761

Employer Identification Number
Every partnership or corporation must have an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to use as its taxpayer number. Sole proprietors must also have an EIN if they pay wages to one or more employees or if they are required to file any excise tax returns.

Internal Revenue Service Employer Identification Number
675 W. Moana Lane
Reno, NV 89509
Phone: 1-800-829-1040

Business Personal Property Declaration Form
Nevada tax laws require all persons, firms, or businesses owning, renting, leasing, or controlling business personal property to file a Business Personal Property Declaration Form. Please contact your city or county government office for more information.

Workman's Compensation Insurance
Every business that employs anyone must by law, obtain workers compensation insurance coverage unless that entity is certified by the Commissioner of Insurance as a self-insured employer.

State of Nevada Department of Business and Industry Division of Insurance 788 Fairview Drive #300
Carson City, NV 89702
Phone: 775-687-4270
Fax: 775-687-3937

Nevada Unemployment Compensation Program
Any business that employs one or more workers is an "employing unit" and must register with the Nevada Unemployment Compensation Program. Registration is made by submitting a Nevada Business Registration Form to the employment security division as soon as workers are hired.

Employment Security Division
1325 Corporate Blvd.
Reno, NV 89502
Phone: 775-688-2663
Fax: 775-688-2667

I-9 Forms for New Employees
Every employer is required, within 72 hours of hiring a new employee, to maintain a completed, signed, witnessed, and dated I-9 Form for each employee.

Immigration & Naturalization Service
1351 Corporate Blvd.
Reno, NV 89502
Phone: 1-800-375-5283

W-4 Forms
Every employee hired is to complete a W-4 Form so that the employer can withhold the proper amount of income tax from each paycheck. Any change in the employee's tax status requires a new form.

Internal Revenue Service
300 Booth Street
Reno, NV 89502
Phone: 1-800-829-1040

Nevada Labor Statutes
All employers must comply with Nevada's Labor Statutes and must post a sign explaining these laws at the place of business.

State Labor Commission
1445 Hot Springs Road, Ste. 109
Carson City, NV 89710
Phone: 775-687-4850
Fax: 775-687-6409

Businesses interested in incorporating, along with non-Nevada businesses seeking permission to do business in Nevada, should register with the Secretary of State's Office. The Secretary of State's office handles commercial recordings (incorporation), securities, notaries, and election information.

Secretary of State
Capital Building
101 N. Carson St., Suite 3
Carson City, NV 89701
Phone: 775-687-5203
Fax: 775-687-3471
Document on demand directory: 1-800-583-9486

Using a Fictitious Name
A fictitious name/dba certificate is required for all businesses that plan to use a name different than their legal or corporate name. It is best to check with the County Clerk's office where your business is located to determine if the fictitious name desired is available.

©2007 Lander County Economic Development Authority | 775-635-8245 | info@landercountyed.org